Resident Artist Program
Clay Space has established an Resident Artist Program designed to provide a supportive and stimulating environment for emerging artists to advance their work. During the one-year residency, the artists will have the opportunity to explore their passion for clay, gain teaching experience, and participate in an active ceramics community.
Our residency program includes:
· Materials at cost
· Free firing (3 electric, and two large gas kilns on site. Firing fees may apply in some cases.)
· Free private studio space (unfurnished) and 24/7 access
· The opportunity to teach classes and workshops
· Access to press equipment and slip casting experience
Applicants are chosen for the quality of their work, a perceived potential for growth in their work, and the ability and willingness to contribute to the community within the studio. Our resident artist program is best suited for a self-directed and community-minded artist.
The Resident Artist agrees to a combined 15 hours of studio work and teaching per week.
· Studio work consists of three 4-hour shifts per week as studio manager. Studio manager duties include: glaze mixing, clay reclaim, studio maintenance, firing kilns, and assisting customers.
· The requirements for teaching are leading one 8-week class for any three of our six class sessions. Classes are held once a week, 2-3 hours each.
· The Resident Artist is also asked to assist with the production of fundraising events, gallery openings, and is often called upon to offer technical or creative advice to studio artists, and students.
· At the conclusion of the program, the Resident Artist is expected to produce a cohesive body of work for exhibit in the Gallery.
Clay Space is an art center and ceramic facility located on the west side of Eugene, Oregon, in the historic Whitaker neighborhood. A classroom, a store/gallery, 12 private studio spaces and the main studio area fill the 7600 square foot space. We have 24 Shimpo Whisper wheels, large work tables, lockers, clay extruders, slab rollers, a spray booth, slips, glazes and oxides; kilns, including three electric, two gas, and a portable raku kiln; a lighted photo shoot area and a wood-fired pizza oven. We are a one level facility and handicapped accessible.
Terms of Residency
The Resident Artist Program is a 12-month commitment. 24-month residencies are possible with annual evaluation. Resident artists are also responsible for their own housing and living expenses.
Applications are accepted through April 1st. The residency program begins between July and September; start dates are flexible. To apply, please send the following materials to Clay Space in one package.
· Application fee of $25
· A CD with 15-20 images of work completed within the last year (300dpi jpg).
· Hardcopy of image descriptions, size, materials, titles
· Artist's statement of intent that highlights why you are interested in this residency
· 2 letters of recommendation
· An interview is part of the application process, and may be in person or over the phone.
· Applicant materials will not be returned.
For More Information
Contact Meghan Verberkmoes or Jim Laub